Driving in Rwanda requires preparation because different countries have various laws and traffic rules. Learn about requirements for a driver license before you leave your home country, auto insurance, road rules and permits. You must be sure that your Driving Permit will be valid in country/countries which you are going to visit.
Some countries require availability of the International Driving Permits for foreign drivers. You should also know a term of the International Driving Permit’s validity since different countries have different terms from one month to one year. If you stay in the country longer than the International Driving Permit’s validity period, you will be obliged to obtain the Driving Permit issued by the visited country.
Before you leave your country, ask your insurance company if you are covered for driving abroad. In most countries, it is compulsory to have car insurance; you should know what type of insurance or level of coverage is required by country’s traffic rules.
If you are going to travel by your own car, learn vehicle requirements and equipment you will need. Now, in most countries it is required to have in the car a first aid kit, fire extinguisher, warning triangle, reflective vest, insurance certificates and so on.
Remember, at all times while driving abroad, you should carry all your documents International Driving Permit, original Driver License, and car registration documents.
DRIVING IN RWANDA
- Traffic moves on the right side of the road.
- The minimum driving age is 18 years in categories A and B and 20 years in categories C, D, E, and F.
- Drunk drivers are fined and jailed for 24 hours. The legal blood alcohol level is 0.08%. The random breath testing by police is legal.
- Helmet use is compulsory for motorcyclists.
- To wear seat belts is required for all car occupants.
- Vehicles already in a traffic circle have the right-of-way.
- Third-party insurance is required.
- The speed limit in towns is 40 km/h (25 mph) and in provinces is 60 km/h (37 mph).
- Using cell phones while driving is prohibited, unless phones are equipped with a hands free kit.
- The police phone number is 112.
- An International driving permit is acceptable and can be used for one year for driving in Rwanda. After that term, a foreigner should apply for a Rwandan driver license.
- Police may stop any vehicle and search the car and luggage.
- While driving, it is required to have a driver license /International driving permit, vehicle registration documents, and car insurance certificates.