Chimpanzee trekking in Rwanda is majorly done in Nyungwe Forest National Park Rwanda’s oldest National Park. Chimpanzees are found in Nyungwe Forest National Park (400 Chimpanzees) and Cyamudongo Forest. There are two groups which are habituated in Nyungwe and another is in Cyamudongo and can be visited by tourists. The new Gishwati-Mukura National Park also has a few Chimpanzee.
Why go for Chimpanzee Trekking in Rwanda
- Chimp Trekking in Nyungwe Forest is easily combined with Gorilla Trekking in Volcanoes National Park.
- Nyungwe Forest offers many other activities include other primates such as large groups of Black and White Colobus Monkeys, Birding, Hiking and Forest Canopy Walk.
- Good Roads to get to Nyungwe Forest
- One of the Best Luxury Lodges in Rwanda, Nyungwe Forest Lodge.
- Chimp Sightings are a hit or miss-more miss than hit, mostly you miss out on them but are rewarded by other things in this rare Afro-Montane Forest – Just read the TripAdvisor Reports.
- Price for Permit is high for a hit and miss trek
- Long Disappointing Treks without seeing Chimpanzees
- Chimpanzees are semi or non-habituated making them hide from Humans upon their approach
- Lodging Choices are limited
- Lodging in most cases it is a distance from the Chimpanzee trekking trailhead
Chimpanzee Trekking Permits
The chimpanzee trekking permits are also $100 which is less than that of the mountain gorillas. There are over 64 permits per day that are issued in Rwanda for chimp trekking and only 8 people per day for chimpanzee tracking. Therefore it’s advisable to book these permits well in advance and a year is not too soon.
Considering Rwanda for the primate adventure is financially more conceivable when considering the chimpanzees instead of the mountain gorillas and it’s an option that will not disappoint. More so, there are many stories of the people that are coming to Rwanda and bumping into the gorillas as you travel in the forest and the sightings at one of the lodges. The mountain gorillas are also habituated and also feel somewhat more comfortable around humans and have been known to venture to the lodges in search of food. There are also no guarantees of this happening, and in case you are lucky it’s very possible.
rent the cars to spot the chimpanzee in Rwanda with Rent a car Rwanda